How to Make Good on Tickets After a License Suspension

For full disclosure, I am a complete idiot. Now that we've got that

out of the way, here's what I did and want to do.

In California, on two seperate occasions, I received a fixit ticket

for driving without my license. I neglected to "fixit" or to pay the

fine which showed up later. I then received a notice that my license

has been suspended (duh, right?)

I want to set things straight, but I'm not sure how to go about paying

the fine. I don't have any paperwork regarding the fees or to whom I

should pay them. I'm a little scared to approach a police officer

regarding this, so in my humblest moment I beseech thee, Oracle of

Google, how do I get out of this mess?

One thought on “How to Make Good on Tickets After a License Suspension

  1. Hi Dollyllama!

    You're not an idiot! It's just a case of selective memory! 😉

    Getting your license re-instated after neglecting to pay your fines

    isn't as scary as you might think. In fact, Jean at California

    Department of Motor Vehicles General Information line said it's a


    Here's what you need to do:

    Call the California Department of Motor Vehicles General Information

    line at 1-800-777-0133. Press "0" at the prompt to be connected to a

    DMV agent. They're awfully busy, so you might have to hold for a

    minute – my call was answered in less than 2 minutes.

    Tell the agent that your license was suspended due to unpaid fines,

    and be certain to tell the agent why you were fined to begin with.

    You'll be asked for your full name and driver's license number.

    The DMV agent will pull your record – if the computers are happy, it

    will take only a few minutes to see when the fines were issued and for

    how much. The Agent will then be able to give you the citation number

    and the court through which the fines were levied.

    From there, you'll need to contact the relevant court with your

    citation number, and follow the court's instructions for paying your

    fines. The procedure varies from court to court – some may ask you to

    pay in person, others may provide you with a mailing address. Be

    certain to follow the court's instructions carefully.

    Once your fine is paid, you'll need to obtain an abstract from the

    court, stating that the fines have been paid. Submit this to the DMV

    *in person*. You may be required to pay a $55 license re-instatement

    fee – this is dependent upon your individual situation. The DMV agent

    who looks up your record will be able to give you further details.

    And that's it. Except for the dent in the checking account, pretty

    painless, right?

    Good luck! If any part of my answer is unclear, don't hesitate to ask

    for clarification. I'll be happy to help.


    My search terms included: [ California DMV ] Once there, I selected

    "Contact Us", and called the number for the first field office listed.

    The agent was very sweet and helpful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *