1099-MISC tax form for F-1 visa student – Money & Services


Please briefly explain why you feel this question should be reported .

Report Cancel

Hi all-

I’m a new member here, and have a question about 1099-MISC tax form.

I’m actually on my student F-1 visa, during the year 2008, I have a part time job as a music instructor. The music school sent me a 1099-MISC and I have earned about under 3500 and which was documented in box 7. I have been living (with my F-1 visa) in the states over 8 years. Should I file my 1099-MISC form? I have heard that I don’t have to pay any tax for my situation, is it true?

Thanks much for your help in advance.


Since you have been living in the U.S. for 8 years, you must file resident tax return Form 1040.
You must file return if yourself employed income (1099-misc income) is $400 or more.

1099-misc income: You are self employed or independent contractor. You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 57 of Form 1040). Half of SE tax is deductible on line 27 of Form 1040. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Money & Services 0 Answer 30 views 0

About the Author

Leave an answer

Captcha Click on image to update the captcha .

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>